Alcor Cost Savings Thread

All topics about cryopreservation costs, membership dues, etc.
bwowk
Relationship with Alcor: Board Member

Re: Alcor Cost Savings Thread

Post by bwowk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:30 pm

As an alternative to life insurance, older individuals can fund cryonics arrangements through a revocable trust. Standard template documents are here

http://www.alcor.org/Library/html/alcortrusts.htm

paulwakfer

Post by paulwakfer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 pm

bwowk wrote:As an alternative to life insurance, older individuals can fund cryonics arrangements through a revocable trust. Standard template documents are here

http://www.alcor.org/Library/html/alcortrusts.htm
Brian, I investigated those documents some time ago and found them to be totally unacceptable - almost laughable if the overall funding situation and board proposed "solution" were not so grave.

The types of fund in the trust making up the minimum balance (minimum required funding) must be:
i) Term or Whole Life Insurance Policy or Policies meeting the following requirements:
(1) The Revocable Suspension Trust or its Trustee is the named owner and irrevocable beneficiary;
(2) The premiums are paid in full by Member from funds other than those in the Revocable Suspension
Trust; and
(3) Trustee is informed of any lapses or terminations of such policy or policies in accordance with the
Revocable Suspension Trust agreement.
ii) United States Federal Treasury Bonds with maturity dates of no more than three years.
iii) Cash, including certificates of deposit, meeting the following requirements:
(1) In the form of United States Currency;
(2) Federally Insured;
(3) Located within the United States; and
(4) Readily available to Trustee.
iv) Federally insured money market funds.

To any financially savvy person, these are unacceptable forms of investment (with the exception, perhaps of the Treasury Bonds for those who wish to support the government and share in the theft from the taxpayers). Most of these investment forms would not even keep up with inflation, let alone the increases that have been occurring in Alcor's minimum required funding.

A much better arrangement which enables one to have complete control over the type of investment mutual funds is the initial balance life insured Vanguard Variable Annuity method used by me and Kitty to fund our cryopreservations. We could certainly renew these with an higher insured value by taking money from other investments to increase the base amounts to $80K, but they have a higher expense load and lower potential investment yield than our regular Vanguard mutual funds, which is why we do not wish to do that.

Will you please tell us just how many Alcor members have used this Revocable Suspension Trust to finance their cryopreservation?

BTW, these agreements all contain the old terminology "cryonic suspension" which needs to replaced by "cryopreservation" or appropriate variants of that term.

bwowk
Relationship with Alcor: Board Member

Post by bwowk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Good points, Paul. I will make sure that the rest of the board is aware of this, particularly in the context of whether estates should be acceptable to bolster cryopreservation funding if underfunding fees are introduced.

Nano
Relationship with Alcor: Member

Post by Nano » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:00 pm

Howdy all,
I think I have a few ideas of cost savings.

1) Have the option to subscribe to an electronic copy of the “Cryonics” magazine. (Quick Example: Scanner/or Free App like Scanner Pro) scan the magazine into a PDF format, and email members their magazines whom “elected/opted” an electronic copy. Save paper, save postage and less clutter for the “new and younger minimalistic crowd”

[Ability to opt in or out: Some members may still prefer paper editions]

2) Have an “option” to decrease membership dues with different level of Life Insurance overfunding, with grandfather pricing, increase minimums only for newer members adjusted for inflation etc. (Similar to the CMS Waiver, good work by the way!) It will make it an incentive to join ASAP rather than later. The dues I saw when I was 14 years old was much lower compared to now.

[Ability to opt in or out: Some members may not have the ability to increase life insurance coverage]

3) Boost membership levels by non-expensive research. Show the public that cryonically preserved animals can be brought back to life using Alcor’s formula/methods.

[Not ready to perform on a mouse, try a worm. Not ready to perform on a worm, try it on bacteria or other simpler lifeforms]

RibJig

Post by RibJig » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:38 pm

> To any financially savvy person, these are unacceptable forms of investment (2012 comment)

Beyond paying for cryonics service, is there way to invest one's
savings in stocks, e.g., AAPL, FB, etc., before death & have
resulting value waiting upon revival? Advice on schemes appreciated.
(not on which stocks, but on setting up low or no fee plan)
(already possible via discount brokers like E*trade?)

RibJig

Post by RibJig » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:29 pm

Just saw Alcor portion of National Geographic series about life-death-God etc.
(narrated by Morgan Freeman)

Convinced me to accept neural rather than full body.
Savings of ~$120K in 2016 dollars!!! :P
Or ~$240K savings per couple... :lol: :lol: