Why I'm quitting Alcor -- they now have the math all wrong

All topics about cryopreservation costs, membership dues, etc.
kbutler

Re: Why I'm quitting Alcor -- they now have the math all wro

Post by kbutler » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:02 pm

So, let me see if I understand this:

I signed up in 1993 for suspension, paying average dues of $50 per month. Roughly this has added up to approximately $12,000. I am now forced to discontinue my plans due to the increase in funding for whole body suspension. By continuing at the rate of $51 per month, with hopefully, another 30 years of life expectancy, I can expect to pay an additional $18,000. Without any form of guarantee, that I won't be priced out again, it make more sense to take that money, invest it, and wait till I am closer to death. I understand that this decision leaves you vulnerable to accidental death, but as I understand it, the likelihood of a good suspension when early planning can't take place, such as when you know you’re dying, is very unlikely.

TDK
Relationship with Alcor: Member

Post by TDK » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:41 pm

It also really depends how much potential immortality is worth to you, in terms of "dollars".
Right now, dollars are extremely important. But in 100 or 200 years, dollars may not have
the same use, same meaning, etc. But your life is valuable. To you at least.
I think there are people in this world, when given the chance at immortality,
would pay almost any sum of money. Because money doesn't matter if/when
you are dead. It doesn't matter at all. So yes, Alcor has been making some
questionable financial decisions in recent years. But I think with good intentions.
And I still think they do a quality service. It really comes down to what dollar
value you put on your life. Sure, you can save a few dollars right now,
and suspend your Alcor membership. But I honestly think that if you
have a successful restoration to life, you will consider it all money
well spent...

criley

Post by criley » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:19 pm

TDK hit the nail on the head. IF cryonics works, for most people even paying an extra $100/month is well worth it. You can't take it with you. I'd prefer to pay $100 and be covered forever, but am willing to pay what it costs not for the chance to have this experiment work.

Alcor is not perfect, but IMO it is the best option right now even with its imperfections.

:-)
TDK wrote:It also really depends how much potential immortality is worth to you, in terms of "dollars".
Right now, dollars are extremely important. But in 100 or 200 years, dollars may not have
the same use, same meaning, etc. But your life is valuable. To you at least.
I think there are people in this world, when given the chance at immortality,
would pay almost any sum of money. Because money doesn't matter if/when
you are dead. It doesn't matter at all. So yes, Alcor has been making some
questionable financial decisions in recent years. But I think with good intentions.
And I still think they do a quality service. It really comes down to what dollar
value you put on your life. Sure, you can save a few dollars right now,
and suspend your Alcor membership. But I honestly think that if you
have a successful restoration to life, you will consider it all money
well spent...

David W Harker

Post by David W Harker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm glad your post stimulated some discussions about alternatives to the currently burdensome fixed annual fee structure. However, your math is also a bit wrong.
southbay wrote:All this presumes a historical interest rate of 6%. In reality while the 2000s were an exception, the historical stock market rate of return is over 10%...
The real time value of money is more like 3-4%/yr. You are neglecting to factor out the devastating impacts of taxes and inflation.

Also, this rate presumes you will be prescient enough to invest in future winning economies. The USA is probably a good bet for future, but remember that it was an awesome bet in the past century. The USA emerged the unscathed winner in 2 global wars. This had a huge positive impact on investment returns during the period.

TDK

Post by TDK » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:32 pm

And that aluminum Nazi reichmark money isn't worth too much now...