recent magazine feature: you can take it ($$$) with you

General forum for any topics not covered by the other forums
RibJig
Relationship with Alcor: Member

recent magazine feature: you can take it ($$$) with you

Post by RibJig » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:01 pm

If anyone has made arrangements with Raymond James rep
for part-all of their wealth to be available upon revival & are
willing to comment about process, please...
I believe service costs $5K total...???

criley

Re: recent magazine feature: you can take it ($$$) with you

Post by criley » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi,
I haven't yet, but did just recently email the attorney. At $5000, that is a good price to create a trust, in my opinion and based on recent experience redoing our complete estate plan.

Whether the Alcor model or this will work is unknown, but it is like cryonics itself, it is better to try and have the chance of success than to not try at all.
Last edited by criley on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:04 pm

In my opinion, the most glaring problem with any trust fund developed under current laws for the purposes of preserving the wealth of a cryo-patient for an indefinite period of time is that any contracts defining the trust will necessarily be built around the legal definitions of personhood that exist today (and thus may require the patient to be brought back as a biological human in order to legally withdraw funds from the account). If a patient is instead restored to life in a manner that is inconsistent with current legal definitions of personhood (with a fully synthetic body, for example) or assigned an entirely new legal identity upon revival, they may have no legal means of claiming the trust, since from a legal standpoint, it is possible they will no longer be considered the original beneficiary of the account. To guard against this outcome and the many other unknowns of future law, I believe it would be more practical to create a trust that can be claimed by any beneficiary who can prove their identity by providing correct answers to a series of questions known only to the patient and (if storing funds in a cryptocurrency) the private encryption key needed to unlock the account. Under this approach, as long as Alcor can restore the patient’s memories and identity in full, the revived individual should easily be able to prove their identity and thereby gain control of the trust. To provide an additional incentive for revival, the trust could also stipulate that Alcor is entitled to a certain percentage of the trust if and when it is successfully claimed by its beneficiary.

In short, since any trust fund that aims to preserve the wealth of a legally dead patient will be on shaky legal footing to begin with (and likely open to creative reinterpretation by future lawyers), the goal should be to construct a trust fund such that it is physically impossible for any funds to be withdrawn from it unless its true owner is revived with most of their memories intact.

johnkclark

Post by johnkclark » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:26 pm

If anyone has made arrangements with Raymond James rep
for part-all of their wealth to be available upon revival & are
willing to comment about process, please...
I believe service costs $5K total...???
That sounds like a crazy idea to me even if you ignore the obvious legal difficulties. If technology has advanced to the point where people (or Jupiter Brains or whatever) can fix what originally killed you AND repair or extract the information in you​r​ brain distorted by even the best freezing process then they must have Drexler style Nanotechnology, and if they have that then lack of wealth will not be a problem for anybody. So ​spend​​ that $5000 today, it will be worth far more to you now than it will in that distant age even if you count the interest, which would be virtually zero by then. Nobody including you will need your life savings so if they decide to bring you back the only reason they'd do so would be because they're benevolent. Reviving you will either be easy and dirt cheap or flat out impossible at any cost, there is no middle ground.

John K Clark​