New associate (soon to be full) member introducing myself

General forum for any topics not covered by the other forums
AstroMech
Relationship with Alcor: Member

New associate (soon to be full) member introducing myself

Post by AstroMech » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:30 pm

Hello everyone, I am a new associate member planning to become a full member in the next few months. I wanted to briefly introduce myself here and ask a couple of questions also.

Firstly, my name is Catherine and I am currently living in Colorado. I am from the UK, however, and will return there in summer 2017 (which is why I cannot be a full member yet - sorting out the life insurance over 2 countries was too tricky). I am 31 and have always wanted to live beyond the expected human lifespan (for ever if I could!). It was a long time until I realized that not many people thought this way, but now I am very happy to find that people are taking steps to make it happen!

I see many of my questions have been answered already on this forum, but I wanted to ask - is there another internet community of cryonicists which any of you are part of? It seems that the forums are pretty quiet and I would be interested to discuss and share my thoughts with others.

Finally, my particular situation did get me thinking about ways to bring in more members, as I would have signed up much earlier if I had known about Alcor and cryonics in general before. One suggestion I haven’t seen here on the forum is doing public (general audience) lectures at universities. The audience would be primarily young, so life insurance would be cheap for them. They are also, on average, less religious, and people in the non-religious group appear more likely to choose cryonics. Also, researchers at universities are used to cutting-edge science and not knowing if it will work, so people will hopefully be at least interested. What do you think? I’ve seen in Alcor’s book that there is considerable tension between cryonics and cryobiology, so perhaps another department than medicine would work, like physics, maths, computer science etc.? Any thoughts welcome!

I look forward to getting to know some of you on here :)

criley

Re: New associate (soon to be full) member introducing mysel

Post by criley » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Hi,
Cryonet used to be active, but they shut it down 6-7 years ago.

I bet some departments would be more open than others as you suggested. There are a fair number of computer science-y/tech type people who are interested in cryonics - Hal Finney, Marvin Minsky (at least in the past, probably 'frozen' now), Drexler, etc. So that is probably an interesting idea.

:-)

AstroMech

Post by AstroMech » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I saw some of the Cryonet archived topics and it’s a shame they’re no longer active.

Hmm, actually, looking around I found a New Cryonet group on Yahoo:
https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/group ... yonet/info

I haven’t looked around it much but it seems quite active. I see that Mike Darwin is on there, and there are some posts from people at CI, so it might be worth posting on there.

One thing I was hoping for was a forum in which members could suggest ideas to the various cryonics organizations. In the end, we want these to last a century or so and to grow, and so being able to give them suggestions could be very useful for us! Being involved as a community would also be helpful because we can help one another too.

Thanks for the thoughts on my idea. I’ve also noticed that there seem to be a fair number of tech kinds of people involved in cryonics - must be something about the mindset :p

I work at a university (in physics) so I could even help coordinate something but I’d have to check whether Alcor would want to do this first… I assume they have to be pretty careful about how they present themselves!

criley

Post by criley » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:50 pm

Yeah, probably a good idea to check with them. They did send out cards a year or two ago for a free year as an associate member. Maybe on college campuses, if there are people who the person giving the talk thinks are legitimately interested they could give them a year free.

Happy Thanksgiving (tomorrow) everyone!

AstroMech

Post by AstroMech » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Yeah, giving out cards like that at a public lecture would be a good idea also. Associate membership can't make Alcor that much money so I'm sure it would be worth the temporary loss of money to get more people involved.

Happy Thanksgiving also :)

RibJig

Post by RibJig » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:09 pm

IMO, suspended animation research related to deep space travel
will be acceptable to general public, when the time comes.
Bringing dead back to life might START becoming more
acceptable after that. A new definition of legally dead
might be required first.

Personally, am still stuck on ?fact? that there are no
examples in nature of dead returning to life, only of
"almost dead" e.g., frozen coming back to life, which
is really natural suspended animation, isn't it...?

FORGOT ABOUT GENETIC MANIPULATION POSSIBILITIES IN FUTURE, :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
SPECIFICALLY DISCOVERING HOW TO TURN OFF "OLDER" & TURN ON "YOUNGER".

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/scien ... .html?_r=0

There are cryonics forums at
http://www.longecity.org/forum/forum/61-cryonics/
more active than this forum, but as to quality of discussion,
you be the judge..... :? :? :? :? :?

AstroMech

Post by AstroMech » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:46 pm

Sorry for the late response!

I agree that suspended animation for purposes other than extending lifespan / resuscitation will probably be more easily acceptable to people… On the medical side, I wonder if “freezing” will be acceptable as a short-term fix before it becomes more generally acceptable for the terminally ill i.e. if someone is too sick to be treated on the spot and has to be cooled down in order to reach a hospital without irreversible brain death. Here’s a study in which they’re going to try cooling trauma patients down so surgeons have more time to operate before brain damage:

http://www.biocision.com/blog/10540/coo ... a-patients

(there’s also a link to the paper but I can’t access it). While it’s quite a long way from what we’re doing, at least it may help in making some of our ideas more acceptable to mainstream medicine eventually (?) .

I don’t think I actually know how much of a line there is between “dead” and “almost dead”. I’m thinking that we have examples of a) animals that are frozen and come back to life and also b) examples of humans whose hearts stop and then come back to life via CPR or whatever… Intuitively it seems theoretically possible that we can combine these things but it seems to be medically challenging (to me, with no medical background :?). Alcor was doing some work on intermediate temperature storage a while back (according to their book) but I’m not sure if they still do it. That would be a step closer to what happens in nature though.

I’m very excited by the article you linked! One concern I have is that, if I die at 90 years old I don’t want to wake up sometime in the future age 90 and be told I’m going to die of old age in a week :/ I can certainly see people wanting to slow/stop aging but I’ve always worried whether there will be a societal impetus to actually reverse it for older people. It seems people are opposed to life extension on moral grounds, which I find hard to understand. Curing the cancer of a 20 year old is also life extension but nobody would argue against that. It’s really good to see this research being done :)

Thanks also for the forum link :). I had a quick look and it’s nice to find somewhere more active. I suppose discussion quality is always going to be variable but it’s good to have some kind of community. I’ll probably see you there :)

RibJig

Post by RibJig » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:28 pm

AstroMech

Post by AstroMech » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:21 pm

Thanks for the links! I’m still undecided about neuro- vs whole body (although the decision may come down to cost in the end). I saw a documentary once in which heart transplant patients took on personality traits from their donors, which indicates some information may be in the body. It was so long ago, though, I can’t find it again. A difficult decision!

I’m interested by the article in the middle link saying “If all aging was due to telomeres, we would have solved the aging problem a long time ago”. Still, I think it’s progress! If we all are successfully cryopreserved they’ll have lots of time to work on the aging problem while we wait. I'm encouraged to see people working on it at least!

I’m not sure if people have seen this but good news on the cryobiology front - 21 Century Medicine recovered a rabbit brain after cryopreservation:

http://www.newsweek.com/rabbit-brain-fi ... ion-424913

I’ll put a post about it in the “criobiology” section of the forum.

RibJig

Post by RibJig » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:46 pm

That article has been corrected:

"Correction | The article originally stated that the brain had been recovered. It has been updated to clarify that the rabbit brain has so far only been preserved, not recovered."

But preserved is better than NOT preserved, as article states all cryonics
activities thus far have NOT preserved & rely on an advanced mankind being
able to convert unpreserved back to preserved...?