Professor Sergio Canavero

Mechanical and biological cell repair topics
MV10
Relationship with Alcor: Member

Professor Sergio Canavero

Post by MV10 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:33 am

Why do I have the feeling he's name-dropping Alcor without Alcor's actual involvement or permission?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017 ... or-bodies/

According to the article, he claims he'll be doing "brain transplants" using Alcor neuro patients. Perhaps he was only speculating, given this is an Italian person interviewed by a German magazine, and is being quoted by an English publication. It seems possible the assertion is a translation error.

RibJig

Re: Professor Sergio Canavero

Post by RibJig » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:35 pm

from wiki:

"Current progress is being made as Dr. Canavero’s collaborators continue research. Dr. Xiaoping Ren of Harbin Medical University of China and his team completed a monkey head transplant using Canavero’s research. The spinal cord was not connected for the monkey as the purpose was to see if the blood supply worked. The monkey survived the procedure without any complications but was only kept alive for 20 hours for ethical reasons.[citation needed] They are also testing on human corpses to prevent injury.[16] C-Yoon Kim of Konkuk University School of Medicine in South Korea also published a study in Surgical Neurology International which showed how the team reestablished motor movements in mice whose neck spinal cords had been severed and re-fused. A video was also released.[17]"

(but monkey head-brain not cryogenically preserved first, AFAICT)

MV10

Re: Professor Sergio Canavero

Post by MV10 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:51 pm

I did see an article a couple weeks after the one I posted where Alcor did deny having any involvement or contact with him whatsoever. (Not all that surprising.)